Skip to content
February 26, 2012 / kiranpatils

Browser timeout error while doing Sitecore version upgrade


Currently, we are working on Sitecore version upgrade and during the upgrade process, we got following error:

[Screenshot credits : Varun]

Error was not helpful, we checked Sitecore log on server-side, checked SQL Connection and everything was fine! Then what caused this error? Is our Sitecore upgrade got competed successfully or not?

If you have faced similar error and have same question as we, then this post has answer for you!


We rolled back our application to our base version and ran Sitecore version upgrade again using Firefox, and guess what it worked! 🙂

Yes, we know you are an engineer and you need logical justification for the same. Don’t worry we have a logical justification for you — posted on my another blog — Long-running processes and browser timeout issue (mainly Internet Explorer)?

Mainly following lines have answers:



By design, Internet Explorer imposes a time-out limit for the server to return data. The time-out limit is five minutes for versions 4.0 and 4.01 and is 60 minutes for versions 5.x, 6, and 7. As a result, Internet Explorer does not wait endlessly for the server to come back with data when the server has a problem.


Currently, Firefox timeout is determined by the system-level connection establishment timeout [Source :]. It was earlier issue in Firefox as well and they fixed it –

Happy Sitecore upgrade! 🙂


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: